Filton Airfield Through Time
An airfield was first established at Filton, just north of Bristol, in 1911 after the establishment of the British and Colonial Aeroplane Company. The company and its descendents have used the airfield ever since to develop aviation technology. Filton Airfield has also played host to a military presence, starting with the Royal Flying Corps in 1915, continuing with a Spitfire squadron during the Battle of Britain, and into the jet age with Vampire fighters.
In Filton Airfield Through Time, Andrew Appleton uses a wonderful collection of old and new photographs to show us the intriguing past of this key site in British aviation history, from the manufacture of military aircraft during the First and Second World Wars through the servicing of BOAC airliners during the 1950s and the development of Concorde during the 1960s to the present day and the closure of the airfield by BAE Systems.